To provide the victims of sexual assault in the Northern California Counties of Napa, Solano, Sonoma, Marin, Mendocino and Lake, the 24-hour-a-day availability of a Professional Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.
- To guarantee that children who have been sexually assaulted will only have to tell their story one time.
- To guarantee the availability and use of state-of-the-art sexual assault examination equipment, technology and forensic laboratories.
- To create partnerships with agencies that support our passion for justice and advocate for those affected by sexual assault.
- To actively use our network and power as a 503c Non-profit to outreach, increase awareness and provide relevant education in the communities we serve.
- To provide ongoing professional development for our Nurse Examiners (SANEs).
The Sexual Assault Response Team or SART exist to provide 24-hour-a-day nursing services to sexual assault victims by performing forensic medical exams and offering expert testimony to the judicial system. Napa, Marin, Solano, Lake, Mendocino, Sonoma County police agencies or military law enforcement officers at Travis Airforce Base, initiate the SART Team. After responding to a reported sexual assault, our Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners assist in the investigation. We are the SVU (Special Victims Unit) you may have heard of on Television programs.
The Judicial System relies on forensic exam evidence to file and successfully prosecute sexual offenders. Our Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners are on call 24-hours-a-day to respond to law enforcement agency requests for sexual assault exams. They may be called to any one of four hospital-based exam facilities and are trained to collect and preserve forensic evidence. SANEs also testify in court.
We also have Our Courage Center for Children that provides private examinations and interviews by highly seasoned sexual assault forensic nurses. The Courage Center operates in partnership with District Attorneys Office and The Department of Justice. It is designed specifically for the purpose of obtaining the highest degree of privacy, dignity and professionalism when serving children suspected of having been the victims of rape, incest, or molestation. We make it so these children only need to tell their side of the story one time in the pursuit of justice.
Lastly, we connect with Advocacy Agencies to complete the team: Sexual Assault Victim Services (SAVS), in Napa County, and SafeQuest in Solano County for example. These agencies respond immediately to provide California State Approved Advocacy, emotional support to the victim at the time of the exam. They provide counseling and support throughout the criminal justice process as well.
“We strive to uphold the balance of Truth and Justice that forensic expertise brings to the victims and survivors of sexual assault.”
Lisa Lewis Javar
Lead Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner